Behind the Scenes with Susan Abell

One Misty Moisty Morning

1/27/2020 7:35:52 PM | By Susan Abell | Comment on this

On a morning when fog seemed to engulf the entire landscape, surprisingly I found inspiration for a recent work.  Time of Reflection developed from observing the moody quality the mist created over neighborhood ponds. These two small ponds offer ample painting inspiration throughout the year with each seasonal change. While walking past on a winter morning recently, I was struck by the veil-like appearance the fog brought to the trees bordering the ponds. A bit of sunlight suddenly broke through the heavy cloud cover in the distance creating a bit of golden color to the lingering autumn leaves. If you notice the focal point in the distance where clouds appear to touch the treetops, you may see this effect.

 

The familiar setting could be considered rather gloomy at the onset, but it still seemed rather intriguing.  Using a muted, earthy palette to emphasize a foggy morning,  I endeavored to capture the subdued but peaceful setting. Painting the scene while appealing, proved to be somewhat challenging. Beginning with an underpainting of a grayed shade of blue to focus on the ambiance, I applied many thick, impasto oil paint layers with palette knives-my favorite painting tool. The heavy cloud cover received special emphasis with this technique as did the reflections in the pond. Lastly, shade of brown, yellow, and green were used to paint in the various hardwood trees and tall loblolly pines that border the pond. As a final step, a glaze of thinner pale bluish-purple was used to reflect the fog hovering in the distance. 

The overall aim was to offer my interpretation of a foggy morning in a serene setting.  Inspiration is not always dictated by the most ideal weather conditions. It was interesting to capture a scene from my daily life in a different way.

 

 

 

 

 

Read More


Ethereal Sunset

10/17/2019 2:42:41 PM | By Susan Abell | Comment on this


Let nothing dim the light that shines that shines from within. Maya Angelou 

 

Sunsets are always beautiful phenomenons of nature any time of the year. The amazing color show witnessed one autumn evening recently was no different. I had made a quick trip to the nearby art supply store and was rushing back to my car when I suddenly caught a glimpse of the sky. A most vibrant array of colors was splashed across the sky much to my delight. Naturally, I stopped in my tracks to fully absorb the scene and snap a few photos with my phone. It is nice when such moments require our attention, lead us to slow down, and take in our surroundings.
Artists can never let a moment of good inspiration go to waste, especially when it comes to wonderful light effects! Upon reflection, I decided to use these images as a springboard for a collection of new landscape paintings focused on sunsets. Observing such natural occurrences is a familiar experience and one I hope will resonate with viewers. Hopefully, it will bring back memories of compelling sunsets as well.

Where was your favorite sunset?

 

Read More


A Day at the Beach

8/13/2019 6:00:36 PM | By Susan Abell | Comment on this

Where is your favorite escape place? Is there one place that just thinking about it brings a smile to your face?

If  you are like many people, relaxing on a beach may be your favorite place. Whether watching the incoming the surf or padding along the sand, beaches offer the kind of retreat we often need. 

 

The particular day on Florida's Gulf Coast that inspired this work was no different as my husband and I settled in for a quiet, beach morning. Or so we thought. The sun was shining brightly on this mostly cloudless day as the waves gently lapped at the shore. Among my favorite beach activities on days like this is bird watching. Little did I know, a real show was about to transpire before us.

 

Suddenly, I noticed a pair of shore birds right in front of me engaged in some kind of dispute. Apparently, one of the birds had found a tasty morsel and was not eager to share with his pals. A third bird decided to get in on the action as well and quickly headed to join the beach debate. The squabble somehow seemed very familiar as I snapped a few pictures. To this former elementary teacher, a playground conflict may not be much different. Fortunately, these birds resolved the issue, or at least the fellow with the treat escaped his buddies' clutches. Sometimes you just don't want to share!

 

Capturing the amusing scene first required painting the light blue sky and the beautiful blue-green waters of the Emerald Coast as a backdrop. I knew I wanted the two birds as the main focal point as the surf rolled in. Including the third bird added to the playground dispute scenario. Layering in the beach sand and waves completed the scene.

 

For me, observing  birds in a coastal environment is a fun way to relax at the beach. I'm also left with a little painting inspiration. All in a day's work. :)

 

 

 

 

 

Read More


Where Peace Has Always Been

5/3/2018 7:01:29 PM | By Susan Abell | Comment on this

Nature is painting for us pictures of infinite beauty. John Ruskin

 

What is the most peaceful place you can imagine? If your idea includes a peaceful, gurgling creek, waterfalls, and stirring mountain vistas, then you can easily relate to the inspiration behind this piece. A day in nature can certainly offer respite from our everyday lives in a most welcoming way.

One of my favorite places to visit offers a time of renewal in nature, as well as unlimited  painting inspiration. A recent return visit to Amicalola State Park in the North Georgia Mountains resulted in an amazing experience.  After climbing the strenous 425 steps to the top of the falls, my husband and I were rewarded with stunning views of the lush valley below. Not surprising, considering that at 729 feet, it is the highest waterfall in Georgia!

Following a very careful descent on the trail side of the falls,  I took a number of photos to fully capture the views.  The lower creek view really struck me for its quiet simplicity. Ultimately, that inspired this impressionist painting created with acrylics and inks in unconventional shades of blue and purple to replicate the light and shadows of a very peaceful place. I can almost hear that creek now.

 

What is your 'go-to' place for inspiration?

 

 

 

 

Read More


Time of Transition

4/16/2018 6:36:01 PM | By Susan Abell | Comment on this

It's that favorite time of year when the leaves begin to show a hint of color and the air is cooler. The transition from summer to fall always offers much inspiration. Painted in acrylic, along with inks on a canvas panel, this work is ready to be framed to serve a  reminder of this delightful season. Inspired by a sunny fall mornings in my own neighborhood where seasonal changes and various wildlife sightings provide endless painting inspiration.

Read More


Lighting the Way

3/26/2018 5:40:49 PM | By Susan Abell | Comment on this

The richness I achieve comes from nature, the source of my inspiration.      Claude Monet   

 

Ever wonder if you are on the right path?  Is this the way to go?

If you are like most folks, at one time or another in your life you've had that very question.

Difficult decisions to consider?

 

Maybe your own backyard provides the respite you seek or even a golf course when you also need the break being outside offers.

Whatever it is you may be contemplating, you likely have your own go-to place, unique to you to work through your thoughts.

 

Back on the path.....the painting featured is a really metaphor for the uncertainties in life.

All were inspired by the pathways throughout a favorite place of mine, the State Botanical Garden of Georgia.  Not only does this environment provide countless natural inspiration, but somehow after a long walk my creative insight is clearer.

A number of paintings of mine have been directly influenced by the unique filtered light through the trees in the garden.  Capturing the glow of the sunlight between the branches is both fun and challenging.  Just walking along the varied paths is energizing and inspirational.  In the spring of the year, color is everywhere.

 

After a visit to the State Botanical Garden, refreshed and renewed, I usually can't wait to get back to painting!   Hope your place offers the same kind of inspiration for you.

 

Thanks for reading!

 

 

Read More


The Art of Discovery

3/19/2018 7:28:42 PM | By Susan Abell | Comment on this

The Art of Discovery: Marsh Life

 

“I have an immoderate passion for water; for the sea, though so vast, so restless, so beyond one's comprehension; for rivers, beautiful, yet fugitive and elusive; but especially for marshes, teeming with all that mysterious life of the creatures that haunt them. A marsh is a whole world within a world, a different world, with a life of its own....
― Guy de Maupassant, The House of Madame Tellier and Other Stories

 

In a previous post I shared the stages of the oil painting process for depicting a salt marsh. On this post are the results of the completed painting entitled Marsh Life. Much like the quote above, I have a passion for marshes!

You can see from past posts, the coast of Georgia has been a prominent subject. You may wonder why I have written about the same subject repeatedly.

 

I suppose the secret lies with discovery. There is always something new to uncover even in familiar surroundings. To begin with, my particular affinity for the coast of Georgia stems from family trips to the region during my youth. Later, my husband and I  vacationed here  with our  children years ago. Many happy times were spent riding bikes and exploring all aspects of the island.

Flash forward several years, my trips to Jekyll Island became more educational experiences with my fifth grade students to the 4-H Center, including my own son one year. Along with my students, I rediscovered many amazing features of Jekyll Island, including the maritime forests, marshland, beaches, mud flats, and tidal creeks, as well as the plethora of creatures that inhabit this barrier island.

http://www.goldenisles.com/jekyll-island

 

More recently, my husband and I have taken several trips to the island (minus the kids!) since my retirement from teaching a few years ago. Certainly our curiosity for nature was peeked long ago, but there is always something new to discover here.

With so much natural beauty abounding, I am never lacking for painting inspiration. As a landscape painter, the coastal region of Georgia is among my favorite subjects.  Most notably, I have a preference for the soothing color palette of the coastal landscape. It seems lots of people feel the same. Perhaps it is a reminder of those best-loved times of discovery at the beach.

 

Discovery of our surroundings leads to discovery of ourselves.

I have now taken so many reference photographs during such island exploration, I would need to paint day and night to capture all those images! If I just need a little inspiration to spur me on, I only need to reflect on the memories and times of discovery. Subtle nuances...the varied shades of green in marsh grass, the sparkling waters, and the array of colors evident in sunsets. As a painter, I am always eager to begin a new coastal artwork- it is a discovery of the many attributes of Georgia's coast all over again!

What is your favorite coastal retreat?

 

Read More


The Art of Finding Your Destiny

3/19/2018 7:20:36 PM | By Susan Abell | Comment on this

 

Do you have a favorite vacation place?  Think about where you feel most centered.

If you could relive memories everyday of that special location, would you do it?

Upon reflection, if your favorite place involves a beach certain words may come to mind.

 

Blissful. Relaxing. Carefree. Serene. Calming...

 

These words may describe that the sense of the experience you get from "your place".

If you are like many people, like myself, the beach easily fits the bill. The color palette alone of the coastal environment evokes such a sense of calm and well-being, don't you agree?

 

The featured work  is an example of a coastal color scheme connection to our emotions. Case in point: ever notice how interior design experts often recommend the soothing neutrals for bedrooms? It seems the cool blues, greens, grays, and taupes make for a restful room.

The beach painting, Destiny, was based on a morning stroll on the beach of Jekyll Island, Georgia.

 

It was a fairly typical beach day- the sun was shining and a gentle breeze was blowing. When I glanced down the beach I noticed this lone cumulus cloud hovering vertically-Interesting and worthy of being captured in painting. The whole scene was particularly captivating.

The other thing that intrigued me about the setting was the contrasting color palette from the darker waters to the varied shades of sand.

 

It was fun to get lost in the scene while painting. Who wouldn't want to revisit nature in this way? I call that destiny for sure!

Hope you find it equally welcoming and relaxing. Perhaps you are now thinking of a favorite spot you like to vacation.

If you have seen any of my other paintings, you may notice a common theme of paths or trails as a large part of the composition.  View these as hopeful signs for whatever journey you are on toward your own destiny. 

The title of this work says it all-the fulfillment of a calling, a destiny.

 

*Destiny is displayed in the Reciprocal Exhibition, University of North Ga, Oconee Campus, Watkinsville, Ga. March 2018.

 

Read More


Where Are You Heading?

3/17/2018 7:27:56 PM | By Susan Abell | Comment on this

“Cat: Where are you going?
Alice: Which way should I go?
Cat: That depends on where you are going.
Alice: I don't know.
Cat: Then it doesn't matter which way you go.”

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

 

Do you ever feel like Alice? A little directionless…like a ship without a rudder? I would venture to say we have all felt uncertain at one time or another in our life journeys, especially if we are endeavoring to "branch out" in some way.

 

For many of us creative types, the uncertainty as to which step to take next is a large part of an entrepreneur's everyday life.  Why like Alice, I have felt perplexed on occasion several times a day....and that is only before noon!

 

Quite honestly, it does take a lot of fortitude and determination to forge ahead on a given path even when there isn't much guarantee of success. But if you are like me that just fuels you to not give up. Remaining positive and keeping the faith in the midst of challenges is key.

As we near the end of another month in a new year, it might be easy for some to harbor regrets with regards to those unfilled New Year's goals or dreams. Take heart, the year is still young and you can always "begin again" as many solo entrepreneurs, like myself, do every day. Besides,there are many ways to be successful and every step toward a goal is something to be celebrated.

 

Recently, I began a new painting series with a journey theme in mind. The inspiration behind this collection might seem a bit mundane at first. As my husband and I were traveling down the interstate on a rather seemingly gray day, I was struck by the clouds moving ahead. The usual storm clouds were in the foreground, but every so often a glimpse of the sun would peek through, clearly a hopeful sign.

 

Sounds a lot like life's ups and downs, doesn't it? While observing the clouds and snapping pictures of the scenes, I was reminded of the reason for the trip. My mother-in-law had passed away a few months earlier. We were journeying once again to her home to work on the clearing out process along with other family members.

 

Observing the clouds reminded me of her and her constant positive, faith-based outlook throughout her life, despite health difficulties and personal tragedy that clouded her life. Her lasting impact is monumental as she stayed true to her purpose in throughout life's journey.

After reviewing my photos of the day, I knew I wanted to paint a series based on this uplifting journey and message.  I can just imagine her  saying quite emphatically, "Journey On!" 

 

Thanks for reading!

 

Read More


Finding Inspiration : The Art of Reinvention

3/7/2018 3:43:29 PM | By Susan Abell | Comment on this

Finding Inspiration and the Art of Reinvention

 

Imagine you have at long last retired from a lengthy career. As an empty nester you no longer feel the suburban home meets your needs. What would you do if given the opportunity to live as you choose? Would you really make such a change?

A friend of mine embraced such a situation with real gusto recently. Very inspirational, all things considered.

Artists are always seeking inspiration for that next work. As a nature-inspired painter, it isn't hard for me to find. In this instance, it was the background story in addition to the surroundings that were particularly compelling.

 

After retiring from a long career as an university administrator, my friend jumped at the the chance to relive her childhood dream. That is, she bought the farm-literally. The best part is her "little bit of heaven" came complete with a horse, donkey, barn, and pasture.  It was inspiring to hear the excitement in her voice during each stage of the process of finding and purchasing her farm. When an initial deal fell through, she was undaunted and resumed the search with her realtor. At long last, the new rural adventure began, and was  embraced completely.

 

I paid a visit to the little homestead not long ago to meet the horse and donkey with such definitive personalities I had heard so much about.  When I asked if she had grown up on a farm, she recanted early experiences of visiting her grandfather's farm.  It seems those lifelong dreams had at last been realized, complete with two new furry friends.

Second phases of life do bring fulfillment and offer much inspiration. Just being receptive to new opportunities is the key. Being willing to accept new challenges has its own reward. Case in point-my friend has fully embraced the country life by even beginning horseback riding lessons in retirement. How exciting!

 

My visit inspired the painting featured.  Actually, I can't wait to visit my new friends again soon for even more inspiration. Perhaps they will even agree to sit for individual portrait painting sessions next. :)

 

*The unfettered rural countryside in Georgia was the inspiration for this original acrylic painting on canvas. Call it horse sense (or donkey) if you like, this painting featuring "best buddies" might remind you of visiting a favorite farm. Suitable for that home office if you need an occasional nudging to knock off work early to join your animals and enjoy the great outdoors.

 

*Original has sold, but available as prints. #rural #landscapepainting

 

 

 

 

 

 

Read More


Escapism: Island Adventure Awaits

3/3/2018 6:04:54 PM | By Susan Abell | Comment on this

Escapism: Island Adventure Awaits

Have you ever wanted to just escape the routine of your daily life, albeit temporarily?

Do you sometimes find yourself wanting to simplify? 

 Dungeness Ruins on Cumberland Island, Ga

 

Would a trip to a remote island fit the bill?

While such a venture may not truly be possible, perhaps some brief escapism would. Come along with me on an imaginary escape. Daydream about warm sand between your toes with  the sounds of the ocean to fill your senses. Imagine pristine beaches and virtually undisturbed sand dunes.

Recently, my husband and I had the opportunity to explore the the unspoiled beauty of Georgia's coast. Artists by nature are always looking one place or another for inspiration when often it is right in front on you. This time called for real adventure- a bit of a departure from a typical beach trip with only a stay at a fine hotel. The Golden Isles on Georgia's coast offer many exciting opportunities, but if you really want to experience an unspoiled barrier island you have to visit Cumberland Island.  Here, the occasional neigh from a horse or the sight of an unusual bird seem commonplace.

 

Cumberland Island National Seashore at 18 miles in length, is the largest of Georgia's barrier islands. With the Atlantic Ocean on the eastern end and inlet rivers, sound, and marsh bordering other sides and throughout, the island abounds in history, natural beauty, and architecture. A plethora of feathered and four-legged inhabitants reside among the limited number of humans, including loggerhead sea turtles, wild turkeys, hogs, horses, and birds.

The only way to reach Cumberland Island is by ferry or private boat from St. Marys. Visitors can choose to go for the day or extend your stay and book an overnight campsite. There is also lodging available at the Greyfield Inn, a Carnegie mansion.

Once you arrive, you can either take a guided tour or follow any number of trails around the island. While not exactly deserted, there is an immediate sense of being "far from the maddening crowd"and civilization for that matter. Naturally, we chose the latter to begin our island exploration. The park rangers are very emphatic with their directives ahead of time. Particular cautionery point-avoid getting too close to the horses that roam freely. Despite appearances to the contrary, they are wild animals!

 

Want to know more?

https://www.nps.gov/cuis/index.htm

 

 

Surprises along the way

Despite the ferry being filled with people on the trip over, we saw few on our hikes around the island over several hours. Many times,  the only sounds heard in the maritime forests were our feet softly padding on the trails and the rustle of an animal nearby. Daunting to say to the least at times as you wander along. It is easy to imagine residents from long ago trodding these same paths.

What else can you do on Cumberland Island besides hiking?

Fishing, beach combing, biking, bird watching, swimming, wildlife watching, star gazing for campers, and plenty of photo opportunities

If you go...

If you are in need of an escape or break from the daily grind-consider a trip to an less-inhabited island. Undisturbed, unspoiled, natural beauty is a wonderful respite. If you go to Cumberland Island, be prepared with water or water bottle & snacks, wear insect repellant, and soak up every bit of scenery.

Even if you can't leave your physical surroundings, you can imagine.

Follow these tips by the National Park Service for a great experience.Cumberland Island,

You may never pass this way again, so tread carefully. As the park rangers remind, "Take nothing from the island with the exception of seashells... leave nothing behind so that this special place will continue as it is.

 

 

Thanks for reading! Happy island escape.

 

 

 

Read More


Sunrise of Hope

2/13/2018 4:14:49 PM | By Susan Abell | Comment on this

                                                                                 Dawn sent shimmering rays over the placid ocean...

 

 

 

Sunrise photo inspiration by Susan Abell 2017

 

What inspires you? Take a moment and really think about it.

If I phrase the question differently...is there a certain time and place that inspires you?

For many people, an early morning beach sunrise fits the bill.  If that is your most inspiring place, what captures your attention first when you witness such. If you have happened to have seen any of my other artworks, you would have noted a repeated sunrise theme.  

 

Many are coastal, some are urban.

 

Sunrises are fairly universally accepted as "beach themed" art. While I did not deliberately seek to choose art subject matter based on assumed popularity, I did choose sunrises as focal points for their appeal quality.

 

I paint sunrises for a number of reasons. The observance of a brilliant sunrise offers hope, expectancy, and the promise of a new day. The slate is wiped clean and you get to begin again. Most importantly, a sunrise is reassurance that we are not in this alone whatever the current circumstances.

 

Life will go on-perhaps better than before! Simply put, as the sun rises, so should your hope. It might sound a bit trite, but I do endeavor to offer a hopeful message through my artwork.

 

                                                                                             Sunrise of Hope by Susan Abell 2017

 

 

The featured painting could be considered an amalgamation of a several sunrise reference photos. While the sun is definitely the focal point, I wanted to include the slight pink tinge in the water to direct your eye back into the painting. I liked the way the shadows were casting a grayish-purple shadow on the beach as you sense the sun's rays gradually moving toward you. Something of a metaphor I would suppose.

 

Many layers were required to achieve the shadowy, textured effect. My two favorite tools in this instance are acrylic medium and palette knives. The medium is akin to spackle in that it provides a smooth surface to apply paint or even to mix with acrylic paint and inks. Applied with subsequent shorter strokes, the rougher sand appearance was developed. After daily drying periods, additional paint was added to the areas needing more highlights or shadow. A final layer of clear varnish was brushed on to preserve the painting.  Unlike an actual sunrise, this sunrise painting will endure for sometime to come!

 

What is your favorite place to watch the sun rise?

 

 

Read More


Jekyll Island Journal

2/11/2018 7:04:55 PM | By Susan Abell | Comment on this

For several months, I worked on a series of landscape paintings I refer to as my Jekyll Island series. Early on, when I had decided to give my full artwork focus to landscape painting, I knew that capturing the varied topography of Georgia's regions would be paramount. In my former life as an elementary educator, one of my favorite units of study emphasized the regions of Georgia. It was often amazing for students to learn that Georgia not only is home to a thriving coastline, complete with barrier islands, but also has mountains, flat plain areas, and a Piedmont region. Surprisingly, as I often discovered, many students had not had the opportunity to explore these regions. I saw this as a golden opportunity to not only engage and educate my students in as many ways as possible, but to also inspire them. Similarly, I wanted to create a series of paintings to engage viewers, educate, motivate and inspire my viewers. By alternating between the mediums of acrylic and watercolor, I could more readily convey my sense of Jekyll Island and evoke a similar response in a potential viewer.
I was inspired on this particular trip to create a visual travelogue of a very familiar place in order to capture the essence of the island and perhaps evoke pleasant memories for others. From family vacations to extended field trips with my former students, Jekyll Island holds many pleasant memories tied to the coastal experience. My husband and I took this reunion trip of sorts to relive some of what only Georgia's coast offers and maybe find new experiences along the way. Join me on this journey to the coast of Georgia.
Jekyll Island on the coast of Georgia is a barrier island bordered by the Atlantic Ocean. While the smallest of the group of islands known as the Golden Isles, Jekyll is known for its diverse history, reaching back to Georgia's earliest days.The unique wildlife experiences and outdoor reality seem to still beckon others like me. The island's centerpoint, the historic Jekyll Island Club Hotel, a 19th-century winter retreat for the wealthy, is still a major attraction as it was for such notables as the Rockefeller, Goodyear, and Vanderbilt families. It seems many others since have developed an affinity for this special place as well.
Although it had been several years since I had visited the island, upon crossing the bridge to the island, I was immediately flooded with memories. Salty sea air, seagulls calling overhead, waves gently lapping against the shore, and Spanish moss gently swaying from the live oak trees are just few of the sights and sounds that I was met with upon once again entering this island retreat. Named for Georgia poet Sidney Lanier, the Sidney Lanier Bridge, a suspension bridge, provided a clear vantage point to the stunning surrounding marshes, made famous by Lanier's poem, Marshes of Glynn. From slipping and sliding through the muddy marsh with my students, examining the slimy collections in our buckets, bike riding with my family, exploring the maritime forest, or observing a rescued sea turtle, the "Jekyll Island experience" cemented rich memories and an appreciation for this preserved jewel of Georgia. During our stay on the island, we explored the beach, rode bikes around the island, and took in some amazing scenery, while enjoying our stay at the famed Jekyll Island Club Hotel and its surroundings. Jekyll certainly did not disappoint on this trip!
If I had to pick a favorite scene, I would likely choose the marsh. I had observed and photographed the marsh in varying times of day and found the light and contrasting colors most compelling. Although the photos I took often had to be edited to adjust the color saturation, it was exciting to recreate the scenery and transform a blank canvas. Many times adjustments needed to be considered when painting the water reflections as well. Some scenes seem to require watercolor to achieve a softer,impressionism effect, while others were better suited to acrylic applied with a palette knife and multiple layers. As any painter knows, this type of setting can only provide opportunities for inspiration when your senses are awakened. I hope you have either made some connections here or feel compelled to create your own. What is your most inspiring place?


Read More


Thanks for visiting my website! Follow me on Instagram. @susan_abell_art